Monday, October 16, 2006

Wanna do a baseball blog with me?

Things that happened this weekend.

My wife: I think I'm finally beginning to understand this baseball stuff. And I kinda like it.
Me: Will you marry me?

This was said over really really bad Mexican food. But then again, when I actually asked her to marry me, we went to a really really bad Mexican restaurant afterwards. So, we have a history.


This week's theme:
The MLB playoffs

The Detroit Tigers are sitting back and resting after Magglio Ordonez did this. An interesting thought. Over the past five World Series, there has been at least one participant who was a wild card coming in (2006 Tigers, 2005 Astros, 2004 Red Sox, 2003 Marlins, 2002 Angels). So, purists, still not convinced?

In the other LCS, the Mets and Cardinals are El Duquing it out for the right to be humiliated in the World Series by the Tigers. If you want post-season drama, may I recommend you watch the final three games of the NLCS. If the Mets win, they'll be starting Glavine, Maine, Perez, and Darren Oliver. Sounds like a winner to me. The Cardinals will look into starting Chris Carpenter in all seven games.

I'm considering keeping the baseball portion of the blog even into the off-season. Doing something like this:


Daily Baseball Bits:

News out of Wrigley that the Cubs, long thought to be ready to hand their managerial opening to Joe Girardi will instead go with Lou Pinella (?) This is the story of two managers who were given teams teams in the state of Florida that weren't very good. One managed them so well he kept them in the playoff run until the end. The other one managed the Devil Rays for three years and found creative ways to be thrown out of games. The Cubs have figured out that if they win the World Series one year, their entire marketing plan is down the tubes. Maybe that's it. In other managerial news, Ken Macha is going to be fired again, perhaps to return again, and be re-fired. Girardi is now tilting toward the Washington Nationals/Senators/Expos. Or not, depending on whom you believe.

Barry Zito looks like he'll leave Oakland, which means, just like anyone else who's ever been any good with the A's. Don't worry, Bill Beane will find a 31-year-old rookie from Argentina who will take over nicely. As to Zito, let the bidding begin. Despite the fact that it would be foolish to trade A-Rod and the Yankees have said they won't, this will be the running subplot of this off-season. The N.Y. Daily News says that the White Sox and Angels are interested. Just to keep things entertaining, a columnist in Philly says Pat Burrell for A-Rod straight up (Apparently there's something in the water in Pennsylvania... they also want Scott Rolen back). The Yankees need pitching, although they've already had some success with trading for Phillies outfielders. Also, an odd question: Who wants a guy who will break Hank Aaron's home run record next year?

Other tidbits: Milton Bradley is looking for a long-term deal and talking about God. George Steinbrenner is making a shopping list. My beloved Indians are interested in Brian... uh, I mean Marcus Giles to play second base next year. In a ringing endorsement, Indians GM Mark Shapiro said of Giles , "The market for second basemen isn't good enough for us to overlook anyone." Steve Trachsel looks set to leave the Mets after six seasons. Six? Adam Dunn may leave Cincy, because they are "Minnesota-izing," whatever that means. Colorado wants to sign Jason Jennings to a deal. (This article uses the term "Colorado's ace" Does anyone else understand why that's funny?)

And finally, everyone in Major League Baseball is trying to learn how to pronounce Daisuke Matsuzaka.


I've tossed around the idea of having a daily baseball blog like this, but I don't know that I have the time. My ideal baseball blog would be a team effort. One of those blogs where several people contribute. Someone can do a daily wrap up. Someone can do Sabermetrics. Someone can write little featurettes (quotes of the week?). Someone can do fantasy angles. Someone can live blog games. Actually, it could look sorta like this, just not about English soccer. Wanna?


On to the news:

Dental tourism
(You know what I need on my next vacaction? A root canal!)

Chocolate igloo
(Eating an eskimo out of house and home)

Dogs dressing up for Halloween
(As what?)

Remember that I'm my own grandfather song?
(Alternatively, have you ever been to West Virginia?)


Bright, shiny objects:

Kermit gets an x-ray
(Now that's good stuff)

The Disney After Dark video
(This apparently got people fired. C'mon, it's not like we haven't all thought it.)


Today's Random "Next Blog":

The first one I came to was rhinoplasty-pictures.blogspot.com. I'm serious.

College student wanders around Europe for two weeks
(Sounds like fun.)


The Monday Playlist feature:

Mid-October in my life is always connected to playoff baseball. On October 16, 2004, I remember walking into a Blockbuster Video (back when they carried videos) with my wife (back when she was my fiance) and watching in horror as the Yankees did this to the Red Sox to take a 3-0 lead in the ALCS. What happened next was sheer magic. It doesn't matter if you are a Red Sox fan (and I'm not.) It was the most fantastic series of baseball games I've ever seen. At the time, I was busy working on my graduate classes, but I sure was watching.

Here's what America was listening to back then.

5) Destiny's Child -- Lose My Breath

4) Kelly Clarkson -- Breakaway
(She shall not be linked)

3) Maroon 5 -- She Will Be Loved

2) Ciara -- Goodies

1) Avril Lavigne -- My Happy Ending


Today's Random Anniversary:

October 16, 1995 -- Million Man March held in Washington, DC. Over 800,000 black men attend the beginning of the "Million ____ March" fad that's still going on.


Fun fact of the day:

When a coffee seed is planted, it takes five years to yield it's first consumable fruit.


And now a word from our sponsors:

This isn't my usual funny commercial.
(But, it's very true)


And finally:

I'm going to Kansas this week! From Thursday to Saturday, I'll be in the land of Oz. This, oddly enough, marks my first time West of the Mississippi River. And my first time renting a car. I'll be here. Will you?

No comments: