Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Chicago, that way. Ohio, this way.

And now, my life, summed up in one picture.

This weekend, my wife and I went out to the most beautiful place in the world, Cleveland, Ohio for the purposes of celebrating my grandfather's 84th birthday, my parents 30th wedding anniversary, and my saint's name day.

One of the nice things about coming home to Cleveland is that it means that I can drive for a few hundred miles and stop off at rest stops along the highway. I have to say, there is nothing funnier than a rest stop gift shop. In addition to the usual bunch of travel supplies, snacks, and cold beverages, you also get the most wonderful assortment of tacky knick-knacks on the planet. You can get refrigderator magnets shaped like every state in the union! Need a ceramic duck with the word "Indiana" emblazened on it? They've got it! But, then again, it's good to be back in the swing of things.


This week's theme:
William Shatner

Does this theme need any introduction?

William Shatner does Rocketman
(Perhaps you saw the Family Guy parody and wanted to know what that was about?)


On to the news:

Ever get a phone call from someone you were just thinking about?
(Conjured them up, so to speak?)

Man arrested for the 100th time
(Perhaps he should join a perks club for such things?)

This one's worth it for the picture
(Dog bites man, not news. Man bites dog, news. Dog rides horse, FIF!)

This one's worth it just to read the words "robo-trout" in a real news story
(Talk about a fish story.)

This week's oddest theft charge
(A mule harness?)


Bright, shiny objects:

The website from whence I got the road sign pictures
(You'll be amazed how much time you can waste here.)

As an Ohio native, I can assure you that this is legitimate
(He really did run for governor.)


Monday (sorta) Playlist Feature:

Again, every Monday (yesterday was a government holiday... sue me...) I'll be looking into my past to see what major (or minor) events happened in my life on that day, and taking a look back into history for the top 5 songs of that time. On September 6th, 2001, I sprained my ankle. How? I was conducting psychology research. At the time, I was a senior in college and I was collecting some preliminary data for my senior honors thesis. I missed a step.

Anyway, the top 5 for September 6th, 2001.

5) Jennifer Lopez -- I'm Real

4) Staind -- It's Been a While

3) Janet Jackson -- Someone to Call My Lover

2) Blu Cantrell -- Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!)

1) Eve f. Gwen Stefani -- Let Me Blow Ya Mind


Today's weird anniversary:

September 5th, 1698 -- Peter the Great of Russia imposes a tax on beards. Apparently, he had nothing better to do.
(Want to know other things that happened on this date in history?)


Today's Fun Fact:

In the course of an average lifetime, while sleeping you might eat around 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders, or more.


And finally:

Seen at one of the rest stops in Indiana:
"Maintenance man is in one of three restrooms"
(I don't want to know the explanation for that one)

No comments: