Thursday, September 14, 2006

More stars than you can shake a stick at

Walking down to the train today, I saw a flyer/menu/advert for a new restaurant in town called Thai Me Up. This is the best name for a business that I've seen since I saw the hair salon down the street called Great Head. But then again, Curl Up and Dye is right down the street.


This week's theme:
The Breakfast Club

As a psychologist, if I ever taught a class on group dynamics or group therapy, this movie would be my textbook. The manner in which they progress from mistrust to cohesion is a textbook example of the theories in action. John Hughes nailed it. Not Ali Sheedy, mind you. The concept.

A nice little article about the film, and where the stars are now
(If you're a hardcore fan, you probably already know these things, but for the rest of us...)

A fantastic fan site.
(Worth the visit for the .wav files)


On to the news:

There's an implication that the people in this story were on drugs
(But, I still want an explanation for the first sentence of the story)

Now here's how to get on a referee's good side.
(British-language proficiency required to get full comedic effect.)


Bright, shiny objects:

Mr. Rogers. Slightly doctored.
(Not sure if this is real, but it's really funny!)

The mother of all trailers: Every single movie trailer ever in made in two and a half minutes
(If you know me, you know exactly why this is falls into the "bright, shiny objects category")


Today's weird anniversary:

September 14th, 1868 -- A man named Tom Morris claims to have hit golf's first ever hole-in-one. Men have been lying about it ever since.


Today's fun fact:

Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them would burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."


And finally:

A song to get stuck in your head.
(Makes a fantastic work out song.)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hey-thanks for your comment. This is the only way for me to respond back to you, I believe. No problem linking to my site. Anyway, you are officially the first commenter on my site, and by all rights have won a fabulous prize (okay - maybe not so fabulous, but it did come from the Picasso Museum in Barcelona, which in and of itself makes it somewhat unique). If you're interested, let me know and I'll send it off somewhere (it's not very big). Otherwise, if you'd like to protect your anonymity, you can decline your claim and I'll leave it open for those friends and family who are supposed to be making comments on the blog but are so far too lame to do so!