Thursday, September 07, 2006

Parents: Just say no

The world just isn't making sense today. Dar Williams was right: Our parents do more drugs than we do. I don't know if MSNBC picked up on the connection, but they posted this story further down the page.

Federline Award winner Paris Hilton was arrested for DUI. (Popozao!) It's apparently this week's "alcohol was involved" story!

And, reversing 26 years of apparent lies that have been told to me, mice do not like cheese.


This week's theme:
William Shatner

I was telling my wife yesterday about my inauguration of the William Shatner Awards. She said, "Oh, the award for the person who whores themselves out for the least amount of money and the greatest loss of dignity and self-respect."

I think I found a new inscription for the Shatner Award trophy.

If you liked Rocketman, wait until you see Taxi.


On to the news:

Beer can collectors' show?
(See, it's all about alcohol and drugs today)

Miss Pakistan at the Miss World Bikini contest?
(That's what Pakistan wants to know)

And now, a sweet one
(Cute marriage propsals)

I'm not sure if this is a stupid criminal story
(I suppose it's less of a mess than applying for food stamps)


Bright, shiny objects:

Am I Annoying?
(The site that dares to ask the question, is ___ annoying?)

I so could have done that
(Count to 9, that is)


Today's odd anniversary:

September 7, 1927 -- Happy anniversary couch potatoes. On this date, Philo Farnsworth demonstrated the television for the first time in San Francisco.


Today's fun fact:

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.


And finally:

While home this past weekend, my family went to see the Wizard of Oz, with the score played live by the Cleveland Orchestra. (Or was it Pink Floyd?) If your local orchestra does such things, I recommend them highly. The other thing I noticed, not having seen Wizard in a while was that the movie was entirely about drugs. The Wicked Witch sends "Poppies" to put Dorothy and friends to sleep. But, Glinda sends "snow" to wake them up.

No comments: