Monday, January 15, 2007

After writing this one, I had a certain B-52s song in my head

As a Clevelander myself, I believe that I can send out my condolences and sympathies to the entire city of San Diego, California. It's been twenty(!) years since "The Drive" and it still hurts, even though I was all of seven at the time. I don't really follow football, but even I appreciated the fact that Marty Schottenheimer can not win a playoff game.

However, the city of Chicago is happy because the Bears are one win away from the Super Bowl. God help us if we have to live through this again, though. I suppose now would be a really good time to jump on the bandwagon and become a huge Bears fan despite the fact that I can only name one Bear (Brian Urlacher) and that's because I think he used to date 2006 Golden Federline Award Winner of the Year Paris Hilton.


This week's theme:
1991

It seems like only yesterday that Gulf War I was getting started. Now, we just have the sequel.

Let's see what else we can remember about 1991. (Part I and Part II).

And of course, the actual serious events of 1991.


On to the news:

Couple plays a game of putt-putt to decide who takes whose last name
(Sweetie, if you're reading this: Trivial Pursuit, tonight.)

Little Sisters of the Poor root for the Saints
(Since I seem to be doing football stories today...)

Man leaves his fortune to strangers picked out of the phone book
(Anybody got a copy of the Chicago phone book)


Bright, shiny objects:

Engrish.com promoting alcoholism
(What exactly is the stick figure supposed to be doing?)

Little kids playing the piano... sorta
(I still want to know what the woman in the bunny suit was there for)


Today's random "next blog":

The Daily Warrior
(A woman living with ALS, and I emphasize living.)


The Monday playlist feature:

What was America listening to this week in 1991. You know, as we announced that we were going to war.

5) Ralph Tresvant -- Sensitivity

4) Suzanne Vega -- Tom's Diner (warning: if you don't know exactly what you're getting into, don't click this.)

3) Damn Yankees -- High Enough

2) Janet Jackson -- Love Will Never Do (Without You)

1) Madonna -- Justify My Love (warning: like any Madonna video, there's always a chance that it's NSFW.)


Today's strange anniversary:

January 15, 1797 -- 1st top hat worn (John Etherington of London). How do they know that?


Fun fact of the day:

It takes a lobster approxiamately seven years to grow to be one pound.


And finally:

I have to admit that I miss doing "Baseball Bits." I could point out that the Blue Jays have completely overpaid (shock, I know) for Lyle Overbay. And I could marvel at the fact that everything really does come full circle in life. The Cubs want to trade Jacque Jones, a 32-year-old, .280 career hitter who strikes out roughly once per 5 plate appearances, so that they can sign Cliff Floyd, a 35-year-old, .279 career hitter who strikes out roughly once per 5 plate appearances.

Gotta love graduate school...

No comments: