- Hillary Clinton has finally come out and said what everyone already knew...
- ... and apparently ran the first campaign smear trick of the 2008 election?
- The nominees for major media awards were announced and everyone grumbled about their favorite movie not being included. However, Al Gore (!) was nominated for an Oscar... sorta.
- MySpace will distribute amber alerts (after surely being partially responsible for their creation)
This week's theme:
As now appears to be the Tuesday tradition for this theme series (in addition to giving you your daily dose of I Love the 90s here and here), I take a music video from the year and review it using my not-exactly-patented Where's Waldo checklist system.
Today, we honor 1992's MTV VMA video of the year... Van Halen's "Right Now?", which somehow beat out "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Under The Bridge" But then again, at the time no one thought grunge would last. Anyway, right now, Waldo is looking for the following.
- Right now, people are having unprotected sex. But not you, because you're watching this video.
- Or first three images are sperm, a naked man, and a power screwdriver. Message anyone?
- And then, God kills your mom and your dog? This is apparently supposed to be an uplifting song.
- Right now, Van Halen hasn't been on tour in two years.
- Perhaps the adjective I'm thinking of here is "incongruous"
- Right now really is just a space between ice ages, apparently
- Is this what you wanted, Sammy Haggar? Sammy Haggar, is this what you wanted man?
- Breast implants, then commentary on the minimum wage. America, remember, when considering how to vote, first consult celebrities on what they think.
- Right now, someone is walking onto a nude beach for the first time. And is sorely disappointed.
- And they end by all going into the men's room. When have you ever seen men go to the bathroom in a group?
On to the news:
Something amusingly interesting is happening in Tulsa
(More to the point, something is happening in Tulsa)
Creative prison escape of the day award goes to...
(That should be an actual award. How about a shameless Shawshank Redemption plug?)
Bright, shiny objects:
A little soccer humor
(Does anyone get soccer humor?)
Australians (y'know, the ones next to Germany) ask Americans questions
(Yep, that's my country)
Today's random "next blog":
(Apparently, a cutie, getting an MBA at the University of Michigan)
Today's strange anniversary:
January 23, 1719 -- Principality of Liechtenstein created within Holy Roman Empire. Happy birthday, Liechtenstein!
Fun fact of the day:
A Chinese checkerboard has 121 holes.
Apparently the State of the Union speech is tonight. This past weekend marked the halfway point of G-dubs second term. In two years, someone else will be President. So, depending on your viewpoint, the glass is either half empty or half full. Or something like that. Too bad I won't be able to cover the speech, because I teach on Tuesday nights, because long-winded political speeches always make for good comedy, no matter who's giving them.