Monday, January 22, 2007

I heart Soren Kierkegaard

Yesterday, the Chicago Bears won the NFC Championship game against the New Orleans Saints. Going into the game, I was ambivalent toward whether I wanted the Bears to actually win. I really don't care about football in general or the Bears in particular. If anyone, I'll root for the Cleveland Browns, but I'll never be confused for a hardcore fan or even a casual fan. Here's the problem: had the Bears lost, Chicago and everyone around me would have entered into a three day long period of depression and would have been unable to function. Then, after three days, life would have returned to normal. Now, instead of depression, I'll have to deal with a city wrapped up in two weeks of frenetic mania (in which everyone around me will be talking about the Super B... oh wait, can't say that without getting sued). Everyone will ask me what I thought of the game (saw about five minutes of it... it was... great... I guess...) and asking me who my favorite Bear is (Yogi).

But, rest assured, as it is a major cultural event, FIF will be there at the Sup... I mean, the "big game"... or at least in contact with it from our World Communication Hindquarters... yeah, I'll watch it on TV) to liveblog it. I hope.


This week's theme:
1992

Why stop a train when it's rolling? I'm enjoying this perfectly good excuse to watch I Love the 90s. I promse though that after we get through 1999, I won't do an I Love the 80s week. Anyway, I Love 1992, Part I and Part II.

And the actual events of 1992.


On to the news:

Boy, the things we'll all do to get health insurance
(Next, you'll have to make the incision yourself!)

The food in the fridge is looking at me...
(Anybody remember the show Dinosaurs?)

Dogs and alcohol... apparently coming to a store near you
(Only in Holland)

So, how many of you have done any of these things while driving?
(Shave?)

Proof that broccoli is good for you
(Or at least gives you lots of energy)


Bright, shiny objects:

Good to hear my profession is doing well in Japan
(Here's to this week's entry from Engrish.com)

Hilarious student excuses
(Courtesy of Rate Your Students)


Today's random "next blog":

News from Fort Worth, Texas
(Apparently, this merited it's own blog)


The Monday playlist feature:

Well, keeping with the theme of the week, it's time to take a look at what America was listening to at this time in 1992. Sadly, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was only #7.

5) Hammer (nee MC) -- Addams Groove

4) George Michael and Elton John -- Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

3) Color Me Badd -- All 4 Love (yikes!)

2) Michael Jackson -- Black or White

1) Mariah Carey -- Can't Let Go

I apologize for inflicting this unfortunate period in American history on the readership of FIF. Hammer did the theme for the Addams Family? Color Me Badd was still making music? Michael Jackson videos were actually politically relevant?(!) Mariah Carey is that old? I do have to admit that I have a soft spot for the Michaels/John song.


Today's stange anniversary:

January 22, 1951 -- Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to John Crowe Ransom. Not really odd, just a good excuse to shout out to my college alma mater, where Ransom was in the English department for years. To this day, the President's office is in Ransom Hall.


Fun fact of the day:

At latitude 60 degrees south you can sail all the way around the world.


And finally:

Is it overly nerdy that I'm happy that I bought this book over the weekend?

No comments: