Monday, January 29, 2007

I'm the me in monogamy

A moment of seriousness on FIF! Over the weekend, I came across a website that I'm happy exists. It's called Donors Choose, and it's a repository of requests from teachers for big ticket items for their classrooms. The idea is that people can donate to cover the entire cost of an item, or just contribute a little bit to it. Think of it as a gift registry for schools. As much as I hate to come across as a cheesy pitch-man, I recommend taking a look at it.

In not-so-serious news: Baby Spice is... well, expecting a baby. Is this teenage pregnancy?


This week's theme:
1993

On a VH-1 related note, I got sucked into VH-1's top 100 one-hit wonders this weekend. Featuring none other than William Shatner. So, now get sucked into Part 1 and Part 2 of 1993.

And the actual events of 1993.


On to the news:

It's always good to begin a week with a healthy dose of WTF factor:
A Chinese man has married himself to express his "dissatisfaction with reality". Liu Ye, 39, from Zhuhai city, married a life sized foam cut-out of himself wearing a woman's bridal dress.

"There are many reasons for marrying myself, but mainly to express my dissatisfaction with reality," he said. "This marriage makes me whole again. My definition of marriage is different from others."

The ceremony was held at a traditional courtyard packed with more than 100 guests. The 'couple' were led out by a bridesmaid and a groomsman and bowed to ancestors and senior guests for blessings. Liu says he is not gay, but admits he's "maybe a bit narcissistic", reports New Express.

(Dissatisfaction with reality?)

62-year-old grandmother gets 3 years for running pot
(Bonus: It was to support her bingo habit!)

Braces don't make kids happy
(Oh really?)

Man sells his life on eBay
(Today's proof that you can find anything on the internet)


Bright, shiny objects:

Get your coffee from here
(Thanks, Engrish.com)

And now our bright, shiny objects theme song
(Well now doesn't that just make you happy?)


Today's random "next blog":

How the Real Mother Hen Sees the World
(The wonders of the "next blog" button.)


The Monday playlist feature:

Late January 1993. Warning: This is pretty cringe-worthy.

5) Prince and the NPG -- 7

4) Boyz II Men -- In the Still of the Night

3) Shanice -- Saving Forever for You

2) Madonna -- Deeper and Deeper

1) Whitney Houston -- IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Will Always Loooooooooove Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. (sorry... I won't bother putting the link up because it's currently in your head)

5, 3, and 2 I've never actually heard of. I enjoy the B2M cover of that old song, but it can't take away the pain of having to deal with that Whitney Houston song. However, back in college, I was involved in a Gospel choir (yes... jaws off the floor... the white guy with no rhythm was in a Gospel choir) and I sang a solo originally sung by Mrs. Brown herself. My nickname for the rest of the year was "Whitney." Makes me want to dance with somebody who loves me.


Today's strange anniversary:

January 29, 1982 -- Wayne Garland, baseball's 1st millionaire free agent, waived by (who else) the Cleveland Indians. If you're from Cleveland, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you're not, just be happy you weren't an Indians fan in the 1980's.


Fun fact of the day:

Sunbeams that shine down through the clouds are called crespucular rays.


And finally:

A thought that occured to me as I was driving with my wife to the grocery store: Suppose that you have one of those "life flashes before my eyes" experiences, but survive. Then, idiot that you are, you have another one. Do you have to go through the entirety of your life flashing before your eyes from the first time? If you had a third time... well, this could get out of hand.

No comments: