Wednesday, August 09, 2006

First Christmas sightings in the stores

Later today, I'm headed to New Orleans for the American Psychological Association's annual convention. (Proper response: Ooooo!) Should be interesting to see what's happened to the Big Easy since the Big Breezy last year. In other news: it seems that every time I go to Walgreens, something funny happens. (Perhaps cosmetics and toiletries are inherently funny?) While there the other night, I was there and the voice over the loudspeaker proudly proclaimed that they now have a "MAN-ZONE!" In this MAN-ZONE they have all sorts of cosmetics for men, but not at that frilly cosmetics counter price. I couldn't help but ask one of the salespeople where this MAN-ZONE was. I think I was on the verge of being slapped.


This week's theme:
Odd renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner

Today's entry: Christina Aguilera at the 2004 NBA All-Star Game

Our Where's Waldo Checklist:
1) That feeling you get when you know you need to take a shower after seeing something nasty
2) Drums?
2a) Rhythm?
3) Didn't she used to be cute?
4) Hey, at least she got the words right... sorta
5) Gratuitous over-singing... from Christina Aguilera
6) The PA guy's tone of voice sounding something like "that's.... nice"

Fun fact: Did you know that the Star Spangled Banner has 4 verses?


Onto the news:

Cash machines in church? What next, bingo?
(Seems that everything has come full circle)

Speaking of things in religion that are overly commercialized...
(Do you have your shopping done yet?)

It's this week's "alcohol was involved" story
(side note: during the dinner trivia the other night, one of the questions my wife got to ask was "Germany has the largest ______ in the world" in some random city. I figured that the answer was either church or brewery. There's an unintentional theme developing here.)


Bright, shiny objects:

Super Mario Brothers... live on stage
(I know. You'll hate me for putting the song in your head.)

My Cubicle
(Ummm, are you at work right now... great! You should click on this!)


And finally:

I'll be blogging live from New Orleans over the next few days. Never been there, but everyone tells me to get a binet. I figured that was something that only Europeans used. Should be an interesting trip.

No comments: