Monday, August 28, 2006

Oed to my Car

Today, I bought a new car. I bought me a 2006 Corrolla to replace my 1996 version, Oed. The new car is nice, but it's not Oed. Oed is short for Oedipus. My wife, back when she was my girlfriend, suggested that since I was a psychologist, I should name the car that my mother had recently given me something psychological. I briefly considered "Freud", but that was too cliche. My wife suggested Oedipus. The legend of Oed was born.

How to say goodbye to your first car, the car in which you passed your drivers' test and drove home from prom. It was the car that drove me to Chicago, and my wife and I got pre-engaged in it and went on our honeymoon in it. It was sad to leave it behind today, but after 122000 miles, and 10 years in the family, it was time to move on.

A moment of silence please for Oedipus. Semper in memoriam.

We're calling the new car Antigone. If you get why that's funny, please do let me know.


This week's theme:
ALF!

I had an ALF lunch box. Did you?
(Now you can too!)


On to the news:

If you carry one, you know exactly what they're talking about
(How many days I've wanted to...)

Headline: Woman crashes while teaching dog to drive
(Do I need to even elaborate on that one?)

Jesus apparently has nothing better to do
(an MRI?)


Bright, shiny objects:

Beatboxing parrot?
(Apparently there's a beatboxing dog out there. I didn't click on that one.)

Look out below!
(This is funny even without the bad English.)


Top 5 playlist of the week:

A new Monday feature, owing to my fascination with the fact that Youtube now basically has every music video ever created. Each week, I'll pick an event from my life that has its anniversary around that time, and give the Top 5 from that week when the event was going on.

For example, August 26th, 1994 was my first day of high school. Here's what America was listening to:

5) Elton John, "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"

4) Lisa Loeb, "Stay"

3) Coolio, "Fantastic Voyage"

2) John Mellencamp with Me'Shell NdegéOcello, "Wild Night"

1) Boyz II Men, "I'll Make Love To You"

Anyone else feeling nostalgic?


Today's Fun Fact:

More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.


And Finally:

Today I also wrote the biggest check in my life, ever. That's what happens when you buy a car.

No comments: